Faith Over Fear
Every since I was a little girl I was completely in love with Jesus. I would be the one asking to go to all the church services with my mother, as an 8 year old. I embarrassed my mother multiple times by closing my bible in the middle of service and asking her, "what is so and so talking about?", because I knew that wasn't what that scripture meant. Although I stayed in church, felt conviction, and desired God at a young age one of the things that really impacted my faith is fear. Faith and fear can't dwell in the same place. Faith is belief that you're okay and fear is hopelessness or unbelief intensified. The more hopeless you feel the more fear you will have.
I knew of God, yet I would get so crippled in fear that I would stop praying. As a young girl I would experience spiritual attacks in my dreams. Some people know it as sleep paralysis, but it was definitely a spiritual attack. I noticed that every time I started to increase my faith through praying and really spending time with God I would start to have these dreams. It would leave me in my bed unable to move and completely fearful. After I noticed the connection I would really stop praying, I didn't want to move in my faith or work on my gifts of dreams. In my head I was absolutely okay, but I wasn't. You have to have faith over fear to be a conqueror.
I found myself distancing away from God, because I allowed fear to trump me in my dreams. I avoided the fear so I thought I got over the hump, but I didn't. Years down the road when I decided to get serious about my faith the dreams popped up again. For the first time I tried to fight through it, for the sake of my faith. The dreams got worse and more vivid to the point I didn't even want to go to sleep. I would literally stay up until I would feel myself drifting and then say a quick prayer. Instantly I would have a bad dream. I eventually stopped sleeping in my room for like a week, It got bad!
I still deal with spiritual attacks in my dreams, but they don't leave me paralyzed afterwards and I have stronger faith. Now in my dreams I'm being bold and talking back to the enemy. I still have moments of fear, but I don't allow it to take over me anymore. If I wake up fearful I fuel it into praying to the Lord about the situation instead of dwelling on it. If you're dealing with fear here's 5 things I learned through the fight.
- You have to capture your mind back. The longer you dwell on the fear and how hopeless you feel the more fearful and hopeless you're going to be. 2 Corinthians 10:5 Tells us to take captive of every thought and make it obedient to God.
- Speak life! You are trapped by the words that come out of your mouth (Proverbs 6:2). Stop speaking the negative in your situation!
- Use The Word God Gave You! The word of God is sharper than any two edged sword (Hebrews 4:12). If you're in a fight for your life i'm pretty sure you want the best weapon, so start using the word against the enemy!
- Believe God's truths and His Word. God is not a man that He shall lie (Numbers 23:19). That means when you have a fear you can count on what He says. You can look up those scriptures about your fear and stand on it, because they're true!
- Stand Firm! Be on the alert. Stand firm in the faith. Be men of courage. Be strong. - (1 Corinthians 16:13)
No matter what your fearful situation is, rather it's fear of being alone, fear of rejection, fear of not being enough, or anything else God is greater than anything. Continue to fight back and get to your next level! May this be the year of having faith over fear!
Scripture To Study